Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

.

Monday, December 16, 2013

                Cookie Exchange

So yesterday, Sunday, was my annual cookie exchange.  A group of friends and I have been getting together to do this for just about 20 years.  The last 2 years due to my health issues we have not had one.  I decided that I want to have a life.  After all, didn't I name this blog "Grandma's Journey Back"?  And what I meant by that is my journey back to being me and having my life.  So the cookie exchange went forward.  On Saturday I made dozens of bars that contained M&M's, chocolate chips and peanuts in a sugar cookie dough.  I have to admit it was a little tough.  I kept licking my fingers because of melty chocolate getting on them.  It was an automatic response from years and years of doing it.  I finally got smart and wet some paper towels to keep wiping my fingers on!  I was so afraid that the taste of the cookie dough was going to send me into a craving frenzy but I was okay! 

One of the things we do at our party is have sort of a potluck also.  Everyone brings a dish of some sort and no desserts because of all the cookies.  I took some turkey meatballs in a bbq sauce and a little veggie tray.  I figured if there was nothing else at least I could have what I brought.  Someone brought some cold shrimp and cocktail sauce and there was a tray with some cheese cubes on it.  My niece made a dip with cream cheese, grated mozzarella and spices so I tried a teeny bit of that with the raw veggies.  I did just fine and pretty much didn't really notice what else was on the table.  Now I have dozens of different kinds of cookies in my kitchen.  Cookies are one of my former binge foods so here is the plan.  Hubby and daughter will be taking some to their work places, I will be making a pretty plate for several neighbors and the family will enjoy the rest.  I feel strong right now and it isn't a big issue.  I pray that by next Christmas I will be in a much better place with my sugar addiction.  But this has me thinking about everyone getting through the holidays and I found a really great article at bariatric eating I would like to share to help give some ideas and some strength during this tough time of year to those of you reading this blog. 

http://www.bariatriceating.com/2013/12/13/be-lifestyle-tips-outsmarting-holiday-food-pushers/?utm_source=Bariatric+Eating+Newsletters&utm_campaign=87c0b12b39-Med_News_Outsmarting_Food_Pushers12_13_201&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_da1df32cd0-87c0b12b39-15227897&mc_cid=87c0b12b39&mc_eid=446e7a46ef

I found it very helpful and informative and I hope you will, too!

The best part about the whole event was seeing people I really love whom I haven't seen in a couple of years, one in particular moved to the Western Slope of Colorado a few years ago and I miss her so much that I don't want to skip this event ever again!



2 comments:

  1. I'm always telling myself rest to live, not, live to eat. Here's some of the tips I did during my skinny days. Eat desert first. I know that sounds bad but instead of eating everything in your plate justoso you can have desert cuts out plenty of calories. Plus it feeds my devious side.

    Next drink tart cherry juice. 1oz before bedtime. It has melatonin. It will help you sleep and it's great for inflammation.

    Next ginger root. Chop it up into pill size. Pop out like pills, lol, swallow down with water. That's great for inflammation too. It starts training you to take the switch from western medical beliefs and going more eastern.

    That's enough for now.
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shoot, typo in the second sentence. Eat to live not live to eat.

    I can't stand typing! Lol

    You are so inspiring. You're doing a great job!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete